Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Texture Tuesday :: Two

I took this photo a few weeks ago at Dawson Creek Park and thought it would be perfect for this week's Texture Tuesday theme, Two. I think I was really lucky to catch these two looking out at the lake in unison!


{mouse-over for sooc}

The SOOC is a little dull, so I decided to liven it up a bit. After cropping, I made a copy of the background and set the Blend Mode to Screen at 80% to lighten and brighten the photo. I cloned away a feather or two that was floating in the water and painted over a blade of grass that was too bright. 

To make the water a pretty shade of blue, instead of that dreary gray, I used a Cooling Photo Filter and reduced the Density to 20%. Since it gave the ducks and grass a blue cast, I painted over them on the Layer Mask with a soft round black brush.


I would like to say that I used two of Kim's textures on purpose, but that didn't occur to me at the time...I just now realized it :-) I used Ugg Love (Soft Light 15%) and Serendipity (Overlay 25%) and inverted both of them, which deepened the blue of the water a bit.

Hope your week is getting off to a good start and I look forward to your comments!


12 comments:

kareninkenai said...

definitely lived up the image; lovely "to boot" - everything pops now. great processing. thank you. kareninkenai

Pat Mark said...

Nice work Elaine. It is so much more colorful with the work you did on it.

Torunn said...

Beautiful swan picture. Have a great Wednesday.

Unknown said...

Very nice processing (and a great photo too). You've peaked my interest on the photo filter. I never have tried to change water color using it. Something I'll now need to try. Thanks Elaine!!!

Anonymous said...

Lovely work!

Robin said...

Super cute edit. Looks like it could go in a children's story book. The colors just pop.

Thanks for sharing your edit recipe.

fotogran said...

Wow, what a difference your processing makes to this already great shot. Very nice!

Unknown said...

Amazing before and after! The swans are so sweet. Thanks for sharing how you edit, super cool.

Cathy said...

you did an amazing job of bringing out the color! this photo is just beautiful!

sandy said...

perfect! those two are beautiful and what a great photo! Love how you made the water blue and thanks for explaining how you did it! Just lovely!

Evelyn S. said...

Fabulous edit, Elaine! It's such a delightful image, too!

Dawne Boynton Polis said...

Really great use of Photoshop, Elaine! And thank you for the mini-tut! I'll have to check out your Flickr stream. I rarely go there, as time is scarce these days. Glad to have you visit French at Heart!
Happy weekend,
dawne